The family awarded $5.5 million dollars by a jury in a wrongful death lawsuit last week is speaking out.
We first told you about this in our News5 Investigation on Monday.
The suit was filed against Life Care Center of Pueblo surrounding the death of 77-year-old Sophia Alcon.
The family’s attorney argues that she suffered severe bed sores, infections, weight loss and ultimately her death, that the attorney said was the result of negligent care.
On Wednesday, family members tell News5, their daily concerns were ignores and they believe Sophia would still be alive today, if she hadn’t gone to the nursing home.
“It was terrible, I mean she would still be with us today, to be honest with you,” Jerry Alcon, one of Sophia’s sons said.
“It’s just about justice and hopefully a message to these companies that run these businesses that hopefully they’ll do business differently and think of who they’re caring for, we’re human beings,” George Alcon, another one of Sophia’s sons said.
Life Care’s attorneys have since filed an appeal on this ruling and we’re told it could take up to 2 years to sort out.
After the verdict was announced, Life Care Center of Pueblo released a statement, saying “residents are our highest priority.” They also said they couldn’t provide further comment due to the ongoing judicial process and HIPAA privacy rules.